Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: gamma issue...?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:58 pm 

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

When I launch joequake, the gamma goes kinda funky. Adjusting gamma/contrast doesn't help. Even the color boxes next to the player scores look washed out. If I alt-tab out of and then back into joequake, it fixes the problem momentarily. When I pick up a weapon, it goes funky again.

Also, I noticed that if I set my r_wateralpha at less than 1 for vis-enabled water, then non-vis-enabled water gets a weird flicker effect. Is this just the way it is?

thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:21 am 

Damn... I wrote a reply to this yesterday but lost the text thanks to a small accident... Here goes again.

gl_gamma and gl_contrast doesn't work for you? Try changing the vid_hwgammacontrl variable to whatever of 1 or 0 it isn't currently set to, and then see if it works. I use gl_gamma 0.6 and gl_contrast 1.6 and that does most definitely not look washed out. However I guess the values you need may differ depending on graphics card, drivers, yer monitor etc.

The r_wateralpha issue... Yes. It's just the way it is. Nothing you can do in joequake that will improve the situation (I think... I've heard of some engines that automatically fill in the missing map parts underneath the surface but I don't think Joequake does this).

Good news though, there are two other ways around this. First one is a do-it-yourself solution. You need two programs, vis and bspinfo, from Bengt Jardrup's homepage (http://user.tninet.se/~xir870k/). Then you can process all maps that haven't been processed already. Takes anywhere between a couple of seconds to many many hours for each map. If you need further instructions, just ask.

Second solution... TeamSDA (http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/ have already gone through the painful task of revising all maps we have in the archive. If you find that you play a lot of the same maps as we do, you can download a 200 MB file with all maps we use, water vised and done. The file is here: http://speeddemosarchive.com/quake/maps/watervisedmaps.dz. You'll also need dzip to extract the file, http://speeddemosarchive.com/dzip/

Long post! Now you see why I was upset when I lost it yesterday 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:55 am 

Thanks for the help.
I figured out my gamma problem. One of the settings in my config file from proquake was causing it, somehow. It was weird, because I counldn't fix it by adjusting gamma/contrast. I deleted everything out of my joequake config but the bindings and it went away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:48 pm 

Try r_novis 1 after r_wateralpha to get rid of the flickering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:51 pm 

Yellow, I've been using unvised maps in JoeQuake with the water transparency on and everything looks right. I tried Sputnikah's JoeQuake Pro, same thing.

If you need to "undo" what you did, I'll tell you what you need to do next time we are on a server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:12 am 

Capt. Howdy wrote:
Try r_novis 1 after r_wateralpha to get rid of the flickering.

Yes, and then load gmsp3 and tell us if you get lag :D