Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 Last small ideas for next JQ + 1 cool idea
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:30 am 

1. If I start up JoeQuake with textures and with a connect to server connect line like ....

c:\quake\joequake-gl.exe +connect quake.shmack.net

I get the JoeQuake splash screen and then a black screen for a few seconds. I probably have a faster computer than some people have. I can imagine it being 15 seconds or longer for a slower computer.

Is it possible for JoeQuake on start if it is loading textures before painting anything else on the screen to have just a

"JOEQUAKE 0.14 DEV"
"LOADING PLEASE WAIT ..."
"---------------------------"
"If fast load time is important"
"use -no24bit option"
"to turn off textures."

or something else instead of a black screen.

2. It would be nice to have the ProQuake bestweapon command available in JoeQuake. Quake should have come with that feature.

3. Client side quick attacks? There maybe some reason to not do this, but I will give an example ...

On a Rune Quake server (or IHOC or xCTF or Beatdown Alley), +sattack6 will throw a grenade and -sattack6 will return you back to your previous weapon. Many people think that type of functionality should have originally been built into Quake, instead of all the silly scripts that do this (poorly). On an RQ server +sattack8 / -sattack8 would shoot the lightning gun.

Being a Quake elite shouldn't require messing with scripts. This would solve a big problem where some servers have a newbie friendly way of doing this and others do not.

4. The cool idea

In Options, have something to make your own Quake name

Average players have never been able to make a cool Quake name.
--------------------------------------------------

Something that really impresses me about JoeQuake is how you made a Win executable even though most of the JoeQuake features won't work in it.

I am sure there are still computers out there that must use Win and can't use GL. And the Win JoeQuake works very well and I noticed it can switch between full screen and windowed mode on the fly ... nice!

I had never used Win JoeQuake much until lately (doing testing for installers, etc) , but I think it is great that JoeQuake can be used on 100% of computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:58 pm 

5. It would be cool if typing COPY in the console copied the everything in the console so you didn't have to plan ahead with -condebug to copy information.

This would make it a mod and map developers favorite engine.

(If there is an existing way to do this, I am unaware of it, this feature may very well exist --- if so, I'm not aware of it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:06 pm 
quake.intertex.net

odd, if i try thins with qrack, all i see is the console, and the normal sertertoclient-> status and then connect no blank screen....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:25 pm 

I tend to get about 4 seconds of black screen before seeing the console. It could be the amount of stuff I have on my hard drive slows it down a little.

I tried this with Qrack and get the same. I'll do some experiments on some various different computers over the next week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 pm 
quake.intertex.net

add that +connect to the end of your command line and see what happens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 am 
quake.intertex.net

as for fun names, you can hold down alt or ctfl in combo with letters to get the colored/extended letters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:36 pm 

I've added the bestweapon command, and also implemented a namemaker menu, you can check it out in the screenshots page of JoeQuake in the new site: http://runecentral.com/joequake
I havent moved everything yet, the zips are missing still, but will do them with time.

Baker, the COPY command can't be added becoz the size of the console stored in memory is only a part of the full console which is already printed and therefore it can't be saved totally at one moment - one needs to start the game with the -condebug switch in order to get the full log. Sad, but it can't be done in another way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:17 pm 

Jozsef wrote:
I've added the bestweapon command, and also implemented a namemaker menu, you can check it out in the screenshots page of JoeQuake in the new site: http://runecentral.com/joequake
I havent moved everything yet, the zips are missing still, but will do them with time.

Looks outstanding! I'd like to give the name maker a try. Quake newbies have never been able to make their own Quake name and the whole "procedure" is rather onerous.

Quote:
Baker, the COPY command can't be added becoz the size of the console stored in memory is only a part of the full console which is already printed and therefore it can't be saved totally at one moment - one needs to start the game with the -condebug switch in order to get the full log. Sad, but it can't be done in another way.

Is a COPYCON command possible that just copies the visible console text or whatever to the clipboard?

First, developers would find that useful, even if limited to the visible console ... that's fine.

But there is actually another reason I'd love to have that feature and that is to copy game results to the clipboard for posting of game results on forums.

xCTF has a feature Bam is has written (but isn't on that server quite yet) that outputs game results to the console and that feature; it is likely that this feature will be added into a CTF mod that Zop and Yellow No. 5 makes.

It prints this to the console, more or less:

Code:
Game Results   
---------------------------------------------------
Name             Pts  T  IP + Time Connected
Paul the Camper  158  Red   66.66.66.x / 14:08
Some player      146  Red   77.77.77.x / 175:05
Camper Dude       84  Blue  4.44.44.x / 68.07
Other Guy         47  Blue  4.8.10.26 / 18:04
Map Played:  E1M7   Map Elapsed Time:  13:05
Winner:       Red

Basically it would cool if a normal non-techie player was capable of copying the on-screen console output to clipboard to paste into, say, a tournament results or match results forum.

That name maker looks greats, I'm really happy to see that and the BESTWEAPON command (once you use it in ProQuake, it is very difficult to do without that feature.) Thanks!