Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:06 am 

Baker wrote:
4. Hard drive space Those 100 MB texture files often decompress to eat up close to 1 gigabyte of file space. Not everyone has that kind of file space on their computer and this texture pack uncompressed only takes up 12.6 MB.

While I encourage other texture projects for Quake since I believe that each player should have multiple options in their eyecandy preferences, I ask you to please edit your post to not spread such rumors about the Quake Retexturing Project, which is obvious who you are alluding to. We, nor any other texture or model project that I know of for Quake 1 (or even 2 or 3), have EVER had a pack that will unzip to 1 gig. In fact, if you exctract all of the zips we put out the past 1.5 years (since I took over development) and sum their ultimate filesize, it will probably still be a hell of a lot less than 1 gb.

Furthermore, the latest "optimal" texture pack released by QRP was 51mb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:53 am 

That post wasn't about your project, but I've reworded the post as you asked because I wasn't trying to get anyone upset.

The Quake Retexturing Project is one of the backbones to improving Quake and I didn't have the retex in mind when that post was made. That would make no sense considering the Retex Project was a large source of textures for the installer.

I've had 8 or so different texture packs, include one that Chuck (former Widomaker admin) made and they were all big. The size of the files made such downloads inaccessible to those without good broadband and it was exciting to get the size down to that level without throwing quality out of the window.

(I have had a texture pack unzip to 1.2 GB. It had extra stuff like lits, monster skins, weapon models and who knows what else. They weren't all textures, but it was called a texture pack.)