Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goodbye 100 Megabyte Texture Packs, Hello Sub-10 MB !@!@
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:12 am 

Think a sub-10 megabyte texture pack is impossible?

531 map textures, custom charset, cool weapon models/armor models, custom hud graphics ( use cl_sbar 1 ... not pictured above ).

Download Size = a mere 9.93 MB

Uncompressed, uses only 12.5 MB of hard drive space.

- All PNGs
- Looks awesome
- Compatible with JoeQuake and QRack (formerly JQPro)
- There are no pak files in this, so it doesn't overwrite anything that comes with either engine

Get it here:

Download: Yellow No. 5 Texture Pack - Sub 10 MB Version (9.93 MB)

Coming soon: the EZ Installer

------------------------------------------
From the QuakeOne Team

(This pack uses a lot things from the Quake Retexturing Project, Sputnikutah's pak1.pak, and includes Yellow No. 5's cool lightning)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:16 am 

In-game screenshots using this texture pack:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:25 am 

EZ Installer - Yellow No. 5's Texture Pack Sub-10 MB Version

Download: Sub 10 MB Version Texture Pack EZ Installer (9.08 MB)

- OR -

in Zip Format instead of an EZ Installer

Download: Sub 10 MB Version Texture Pack Zipped Version (9.93 MB)

This is beta; it has been tested and it is a very simple installation so it is somewhat difficult to imagine any quirks, but you never know.

If you have an existing texture folder in JoeQuake (from a previous texture download), you may wish to rename that folder prior to installation because this install will overwrite your prior textures, of course.

To load the custom charset (highly recommended), type LOADCHARSET CHARSET-1 in the console after starting JoeQuake. To use the customized status bar, use type CL_SBAR 1 in the console or CL_SBAR 0 to turn it back off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you haven't tried JoeQuake yet:

Download: JoeQuake EZ Installer (1.7 MB)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:49 am 

Are you really sure those textures are pretty? Compared to the original ones? Well I don't have to use them so don't worry :roll:

Anyway, one pack of candy people seem to forget again and again is the sound resampling project: http://www.stay.dsl.pipex.com/qsrp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:22 pm 

Quote:
Are you really sure those textures are pretty? Compared to the original ones?

*cough* Do you mean do I think it looks better than this?

Need I say anymore, hehehe :shock:

Quote:
Well I don't have to use them so don't worry

This is intended for people who haven't tried JoeQuake or haven't tried Quake.

This wasn't built with texture enthusiasts in mind who have assembled their own collection that they like.

This was built with people who either haven't tried Quake or who think Quake is still ugly in mind.

Some of the advantages of this texture pack:

1. No File Server Distribution Problems: It doesn't create a distribution problem.

Case in point:
Tremor site wrote:
"Tremor texture pack in .zip format (115MB). This is a collection of textures which I have collected from numerous sources that work well with Tremor. Since it is a compilation from multiple sources, it is more complete than any one package would be. "

This file is not available for download because too many people downloaded it, such a large file creates some rather large bandwidth issues for anyone serving the file.

2. The User's Time: Someone can try JoeQuake with some excellent textures, and spend less than 2 minutes to have it up and running with a file of this size.

3. No Deterrent Factor 100 Meg files are a deterrent, some people will still download 100 MB files anyway, but others think twice. Often even with a broadband connection it can take an hour or 2 to download such files, especially because they tend to be served by a low speed host.

4. Hard drive space This texture pack uncompressed only takes up 12.6 MB.[/b]

5. Under 5 minutes from playing With this texture pack, FreeQuake and the texture pack can be installed and a player can be ready for single player or multiplayer under 5 minutes (on a good broadband connect, under 1 minute).

6. Dial-up user accessbility This texture pack can be tried by dialup users. A 10 MB download may take an hour, but it doesn't take 2 days like a 100 MB download does.

7. Raw Multiplayer Speed. This texture pack can be played in multiplayer and it is lightning fast; not only are the load times incredibly fast, but FPS is incredible.

[edited the Harddrive space paragraph to make someone happy]

Last edited by Baker on Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:07 pm 

whats the difference? resized the textures + save them in lower quality?
well i wont dload it now, but i bet they _will_ look worse than the 10 times bigger ones :) this is quality.
But I also agree that we can get a decent quality (a la Quake3) with this low filesize.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:43 pm 

Hehe, the dimensions were reduced by 50% for wall textures, Joszef. HUD graphics were left untouched.

But the originals are enormous and few people use Quake in 1920 x 1400 screen resolution, so textures hundreds of pixels wide are overkill on most resolutions.

As far as how they look, I posted a full-size 640 x 480 in-game screenshot in the first post in the thread so everyone could see there is scarcely a difference.

There is a difference, of course. We plan to make the massive resolution version available, but weighing in @ 92 MB it poses the same challenges everyone else has with files of that size

("how can you host the file and not kill your bandwidth limitations", "is that convenient for the end user", "do you want first time JoeQuake users to have to wait and hour while it downloads", "dialup users?", etc.)

It is an excellent starter texture pack for a new user.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:10 am 

Quote:
It is an excellent starter texture pack for a new user.

Fully agreed! :twisted:

Post subject: standard textures - some examples
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:25 pm 

Quote:
*cough* Do you mean do I think it looks better than this?

Oh common Baker. This is quake with stansdard textures. Looks better than that one shot posted by you.

First one is fitquake. The others are joequake.

Post subject: Re: standard textures - some examples
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:09 pm 

Ankh wrote:
Oh common Baker. This is quake with stansdard textures. Looks better than that one shot posted

That, my friend, is in the eye of the beholder. :D

Yellow No. 5 certainly wouldn't agree with you. :shock: :P And I think he did an outstanding job of creating an eye-catching different look and feel; he wasn't aiming for the same look and feel.

http://maps.quakeworld.nu has many different textures for various maps; people like different looks and feels. That is the great thing about textures.

Also, your above screenshots don't seem to be using any custom textures. People who don't like custom textures don't need to use that feature of JoeQuake.

I myself really like these from the JoeQuake homepage:

I love the DM6 textures Joezef uses in this shot. I haven't found them yet.

I personally would like to make a texture pack with the silver rocket launcher Jozsef uses in this screenshot. I think it looks cool.

Either way, we will probably build more sub 10 MB texture packs as the great thing about textures is that you can create a lot of different looks and feels. :D

I'd like to eventually have 15 to 20 available, but that may take several months as there are a lot of other worthwhile Quake projects to be completed. One of those texture packs could be a high res pack that is old-skool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 pm 

Excellent! Beautiful! Cheers to all you guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:58 am 

!?
Don't you guys feel a little silly arguing that the original textures look fine?? :P
Quake's textures were considered fugly even when it was the only fully 3d FPS in town. The phrase "a study on the color brown" comes to mind. The screenshots Ankh posted look half decent only cause of the lightmaps. I noticed in Baker's he wasn't using the lightmaps for some reason.

Here are a few comparison shots, all taken in Qrack, all with lightmaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:04 am 

I compiled these textures from several texture sets: the quake retexturing project at facelift.quakedev.com, the old retex project texture pack, the fuhquake textures, and the tremor textures. I took the best from these sets, edited some of them that looked weird, made a few changes for consistency, and created several textures that were missing entirely.

Btw, there are a few problems with this set. The luma channel textures got messed up a bit when they were converted to a smaller size, making textures that use them look hazy. There are a couple textures still missing also.

Any problems or specific stuff any of you don't like please let me or Baker know. We'd like this set to be as good as possible. (There will be a full size 100MB version available too, btw).
email: yellow(at)quakeone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:36 pm 

I could have swore someone named Ranger posted in thread earlier. (I think he deleted his post).

Anyways Ranger, all your thoughts are right on the mark as far as I'm concerned.

Everything should be easier to find and newbie friendlier. Just takes time to organize everything :)

I didn't see your post as rude (as you were concerned about). I saw it as constructive criticism and pointing out what I often feel myself looking for information/downloads. I've tried to do my part in making life easier here and there.

As far as I am concerned, we need more people posting what you posted on the various forums around Quake and more often. If everyone thought the way you did, life would easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:39 am 

Can it be uninstalled if it conflicts/bogs down/doesn't work/isn't liked on our systems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:49 am 

Yep, just go to the control panel and uninstall it and the texture pack goes away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:16 am 

Baker wrote:
Yep, just go to the control panel and uninstall it and the texture pack goes away.

Gotcha, thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:33 am 

Ok, had to uninstall it. It bogged this old girl down to about 10fps. Can't have that now, can we? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:45 am 

I told you it wouldn't perform well on an older computer, heh. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:18 am 

Baker wrote:
I told you it wouldn't perform well on an older computer, heh. :D :D

Regular JoeQuake w/ no texture pack runs fine. Which is ok with me because as I was running around I realized I didn't like a lot of those textures. I definitely didn't like what it did to the shotgun.

Texture pack? I don't need no stinkin' texture pack! :P