Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove UNBINDALL command?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:19 am 

The UNBINDALL command is something that has a long history of abuse by server admins who have the ability to send the command to a client (to torment a player), although in 2005 this hasn't been such a problem, the potential exists.

The dumber players don't know what to do when it happens and get upset because their config is destroyed, the smarter players just press ESC, select GO TO CONSOLE and re-execute their config.

I don't think this command is used by anyone, but maybe it is (I really really doubt it).

Is it possible in a future release to either ...

best solution: Keep the UNBINDALL command but prevent it from being something that a JoeQuake acknowledges if sent by the server.

Or ...

Remove the alias from JoeQuake entirely?

What made me think of this is if the GO TO CONSOLE option is actually going to be removed from JoeQuake, there would be no way to get to the console since the tilde key is unbound.

Part 2: It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the "~" key be a permanent key, like ESCAPE. ESCAPE cannot be aliased or unbound, it works no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:29 pm 
quake.intertex.net

actually unbind all is the 1st line in my cfg file.
Back in the day, some servers stuffed alot of aliases to my cfg (ie artifacts) that i didnt want bound to keys like when i connected to a ctf server. And if i quit quake in between this would save the whole fubar'd cfg to my config.cfg. So, I long ago figured the best way to preserve my configuration was to create "my.cfg" and last line in autoexec.cfg is exec my.cfg :)

In conjunction this could work with your auto-exec command u mentioned in another post. When connecting to servers, the engine could issue this automatically, ONCONNECT.. "exec autoexec.cfg", the parameter to ONCONNECT is the file u wish to have executed.. same as ONINTERMISSION and ONDISCONNECT :)

this could be easily added
ONCONNECT {filename.cfg}
ONINTERMISSION {filename.cfg}
ONDISCONNECT {filename.cfg}

each file containing scripts to execute for each event .. neato!

Back to the subject... i think the unbindall should only be accepted by local input not from the server... I was considering added unALIASall command too! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:35 pm 

sputnikutah wrote:
Back to the subject... i think the unbindall should only be accepted by local input not from the server... I was considering added unALIASall command too! :)

I think that would be a great command to have.

Related thoughts:

FitzQuake (site | readme.txt features list | Source) has some interesting commands/cvars about aliases and binds.

FitzQuake docs wrote:
alias <name>
Now outputs the current command string, rather than deleting the alias. See command unalias.

bindlist
Lists all key bindings.

condump
Writes the console buffer to condump.txt.

reset <cvar>
Resets a cvar to default. Note that this is the engine default, not the default.cfg value.

resetall
Resets all cvars.

unalias <name>
Deletes the specified alias.

unaliasall
Deletes all aliases.

vid_refreshrate {60,70,72,75...}
Sets the refresh rate of the screen in fullscreen mode. Windowed mode ignores this setting. Possible values include 60, 70, 72, 75, 85, etc. Default 60. (Changes won't take effect until the next call to vid_restart.)

vid_vsync {0,1}
Set to 1 to enable vertical sync, which eliminates tearing, but caps your framerate at the monitor refreshrate. Set to 0 to disable vertical sync, which allows tearing but doesn't cap your framerate. Note: If fitzquake detects that your driver settings have forced vsync to be disabled, it will post a message to the console saying so, and this cvar will have no effect. Default 0.

I included the vid_refreshrate just because this has been recently discussed and the condump because it caught my eye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:36 am 
quake.intertex.net

already added my own -refreshrate to glQrack v1.52

trying to find a bug which causes a crash in the engine at the end of E1M7..
not sure why this happens but my test shows it happening on a version way back a year ago ugh... cant find where it lies in the code, all i get is a silly offset in memory !