Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding female player models in Quake?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:00 am 

Colors 14 and 15 aren't used in Quake.

What if in JoeQuake any player with a shirt color of 14 or 15 used a female.mdl player model? (That way games like CTF, players with red or blue pants could still be the regular Quake guy or use a female model).

The female.mdl could be stuffed in the JoeQuake pak0.pak. Just a thought. Other Quake clients don't support the idea, but it would certainly catch on as it would not require any mods to be reprogrammed and be a nice pioneering feature.

And that's pretty much a wrap for my ideas for 2005 ;)

I've spent the last few days trying to think of small things to increase the appeal of different aspects of Quake.

I think JoeQuake is ingenious Quake client and has been very well thought out and has made this game so much better in a great many ways. :D

Next stop: The JoeQuake Launcher

Post subject: Hmmmm, it would my my daughters happy!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:54 am 

I think it would be kinda nice, my daughters would love it being able to have their plumbing correct in Quake 1. And since my youngest took over their PC, I will be adding another one, and my wife will be playing again soon, atleast she hopes. She broke her wrist in April and it didn't set right. But she would like it too. The only problem I see is that several people will pick on the females. Then again, a lot of us guys who like the problems that come with something like that would change our colors to Female just to annoy the people who pick on the females. But yeah, if it wouldn't be a complex ordeal I think it would go really well. Then again you have to keep in mind that I do not have a normal family, and on the back of my Explorer my oldest daughter wrote, DAIN BRAMGED! I have come to realize that it may be all to fitting, considering my daughters are more vicious than most boys. So I guess your idea would be a hit here. And now that I have HIGH SPEED service, and completely rebuilt my PC, I would say that once we get everything tuned, our clan will be Fragging and dropping dead like the rest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:05 pm 

Using a new model on a server that a client doesn't have will cause problems. Every client needs that female.mdl to play on the server if someone else uses it.

Bam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:22 am 

This idea is not server side Bam, client side.

No servers would have to change anything they do.

This is one of the gaping holes in Quake; 54% of the population isn't represented.

(You could swap out your player model with something else and it would still work, the main consideration is that the player model is similar in dimensions.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:51 pm 
quake.intertex.net

i think there is already a female player model for quake1, (thought i think it was a bigger model)
but if some1 just replaces that model over their player.mdl it should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:29 pm 

In that case with replacing the model, it wouldn't involving having a choice. The player would be female. And in multiplayer so would all the opponents. No choice involved.

The concept of the above is that colors 14 and 15 are entirely unused in Quake. If those colors cause model sustitution in a client, then there would be choice.