Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JoeQuake and 3dfx Voodoo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:39 am 

Anyone know how JoeQuake works with a 200mhz Pentium with 2 3dfx Voodoo 1 cards? Joe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:08 am 

Well, I've never even dared to run GLQuake or GL ProQuake with those specifications. GLQuake runs ok on a 400 Mhz computer with a Voodoo card.

The non-GL version of JoeQuake runs great on a 333 Mhz computer.

But the GL version on a 200 Mhz computer ... hmmmmmmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:33 am 

Baker wrote:
Well, I've never even dared to run GLQuake or GL ProQuake with those specifications. GLQuake runs ok on a 400 Mhz computer with a Voodoo card.

The non-GL version of JoeQuake runs great on a 333 Mhz computer.

But the GL version on a 200 Mhz computer ... hmmmmmmmmm.

GlPro is now running fine on this setup. I'm wondering if I can put JoeQuake in on top of all that.

The original specs for Quake is like 60mhz Pentium one. Quake II's specs are a 100mhz Pentium one. It runs great on my Pentium one setup with the dual Voodoo cards. I think you guys are so use to Ghz computers that you have forgotten what Quake was originally built for and the era it was built in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:54 am 

Now I've been looking around and I can't really find any instructions for installing JoeQuake. I get hints that it goes in its own folder or something? How do I work this? Maybe a sticky can be made on how to install JoeQuake in this forum and whether it is compatible with WQPro and GlPro etc etc. and what vid cards its compatible with such as the older 3dfx Voodoos etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:37 pm 

The easiest way is to unzip your JoeQuake download into your Quake folder. Copy the "autoexec.cfg" and "config.cfg" files from your "ID1" folder into your new JoeQuake folder and customize from there.

When you open your Quake folder, you should be able to see the "joequake-gl.exe" executable, the "joequake" folder and the "ID1" folder at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:37 pm 

toyo_mr2 wrote:
The easiest way is to unzip your JoeQuake download into your Quake folder. Copy the "autoexec.cfg" and "config.cfg" files from your "ID1" folder into your new JoeQuake folder and customize from there.

When you open your Quake folder, you should be able to see the "joequake-gl.exe" executable, the "joequake" folder and the "ID1" folder at the same time.

Thanks Toyo. I've unzipped it and copied Config and Autoexec per your directions. Now all that is left is to run it. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Wish me luck... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:58 pm 

JoeQuake is running as good as OpenGLQuake on this system now(200mhz Pentium ONE with 2 3dfx cards). I can see the improvements in things like the rocket flare and the psychadelic bubbles and such. Although it seems I am missing some textures because the lightning rods lightning still looks the same whereas on the pictures it looks different. And there are some other things that look different in the pictures that are not present in what I am running.

Am I suppose to download additional textures for JoeQuake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:21 pm 

Yellow No. 5's Texture Pack - EZ Installer (9.03 MB)

To turn on the cooler looking lightning gun:

In JoeQuake: Options --> Video Options --> Particles ---> Set "Lightning" to QMB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:37 pm 

After messing with JoeQuake a while I've discovered that some of the maps on Quake have a 'melted' look on them. The textures on the walls and ammo boxes are all smeary looking and unreadable. JoeQuake has all the problems of GL Quake on my system combined with the new lighting and additional graphics problems with new graphics. I'll play around with it some more

ProQuake, it appears after using it quite a bit today has fixed some bugs in the GLQuake that made it start 'chunking' on my system when things got busy. It runs almost as smooth as WinQuake.

But this is all early testing on my system. I'll have to test them out further later on and I'll keep everyone informed on how they do.

Perhaps if ProQuake does fix whatever lack of optimization or 'bugs' that caused it not to run optimally, maybe someday JoeQuake can be ported on top of ProQuake(if it isn't already) to make it run more efficiently on a wide variety of systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:05 am 

Baker wrote:
Yellow No. 5's Texture Pack - EZ Installer (9.03 MB)

To turn on the cooler looking lightning gun:

In JoeQuake: Options --> Video Options --> Particles ---> Set "Lightning" to QMB

Yes I found that out. The effects and lighting I were missing were because I wasn't aware of modifying the 'Video Options'.

It seems though I'll only be using JoeQuake sparing with the melted looking graphics on a few levels and the chunkiness problem I get with it at times.

Yeah, I guess I could run it on a real powerful system and 'brute force' my way past the chunkiness but it would be cooler if it was perhaps a little more optimized maybe? Hone one's programming skills so to speak instead of relying on massively powerful machines to take up the slack.

It also sounds like just maybe its having a conflict with my SB AWE64 sound card that may be contributing to its clunkiness? I dunno, just speculation from observation.

Alright alright, I'll learn how to program and fix it. Gimme a few years to get up to snuff. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:44 pm 

note that JoeQuake automatically changes gl_max_size (max texture size) to 256 if the video card's driver is "3dfx" or "Glide". Probably you wanna try bigger values like 1024 and see if it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:51 am 

Jozsef wrote:
note that JoeQuake automatically changes gl_max_size (max texture size) to 256 if the video card's driver is "3dfx" or "Glide". Probably you wanna try bigger values like 1024 and see if it works.

OK but I'm not sure about how to go about changing these settings.

Another thing is now ALL the wall textures and box textures etc. are smeary and melted. I tried resetting the game to its default parameters(Fast Mode) but that didn't do anything. I don't know what is going on.

I've also observed that when I'm in 'observe' mode the game does not chunk(well, hardly at all) and follows the action quite nicely. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:55 pm 

Well, the problem seems to have inexplicably corrected itself. Which is a good thing too since no one seemed to know how to change the texture settings. :?

It runs around 40-80fps on my system but when it chunks it also chunks with the sound, almost like its having driver conflicts with my sound card?(SB AWE64) Its the same problem I had with GL Quake which seems to have been LARGELY(not completely) fixed in GLProQuake with my older system. But now just compounded by having new, more complex graphics effects. I dunno. Anyone having any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:13 am 

Fuzznut wrote:
Well, the problem seems to have inexplicably corrected itself. Which is a good thing too since no one seemed to know how to change the texture settings. :?

It runs around 40-80fps on my system but when it chunks it also chunks with the sound, almost like its having driver conflicts with my sound card?(SB AWE64) Its the same problem I had with GL Quake which seems to have been LARGELY(not completely) fixed in GLProQuake with my older system. But now just compounded by having new, more complex graphics effects. I dunno. Anyone having any ideas?

c:\quake\joequake-gl.exe -mem 32

That is likely to fix your sound problems. It fixed mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:24 am 

Baker wrote:
Fuzznut wrote:

c:\quake\joequake-gl.exe -mem 32

That is likely to fix your sound problems. It fixed mine.

I'll be damned. That worked. Fixed 99% of the problem. What does that command do? I am now going to put it on ProQuake as well. Probably make it run completely perfect.

I wonder what -wavonly would do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:00 pm 

-wavonly refuses the use of direct sound, therefore it only uses windows' plain wave format

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:25 pm 

Jozsef wrote:
-wavonly refuses the use of direct sound, therefore it only uses windows' plain wave format

I understand that. I just wondered if that would smooth things out even more. Its not that needed though on ProQuake. It runs between 80-120fps on mine.