Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RuneQuake Plus is Back! Can it be?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:35 am 

Quadation? perhaps I've missed it as I tend to look for the fun runes you don't often get chance to try, but that's a new one on me. Presumably Quad + radiation? If so someone has a very fiendish mind :)
I wonder if it's in a later version of the mod.

@EZ: I shall probably have a little time this coming Friday so please let me know if you fancy a couple of fun games of RQ+ or possibly Rquake Coop, or both :).

Kind regards

Monty

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:24 pm 

Boomerang Axe roooooofl.

I still wish that Shmack could/would absorb these runes. Literally, a merger of sorts.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 am 

Hi Mindzy
I too had always had this hopeful vision of a merging of mods, so that the you could vote on/off the mod you want. Not individual elements of the mod as that would be painfully complex to code and operate, but the entire "feature set". I believe Baker was looking at something similar with his Universal server mod but I don't know how far he got with that. Sadly I've never had the QC knowledge to do this (else it would probably have been done by now) but imagine dropping in to console on Shmack or New York and typing "vote-rqp" to hear that ominous pinging of 96 runes hitting the ground and the fun begins. The same methodology might be usable for merging other Rune based mods like Deadzone or BDA.
Alas, as game coders move on to other pastures it seems increasingly unlikely to happen, but you never know, maybe some kind hearted QC'er will take pity on us ;)

Kind regards

Monty

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:19 pm 

Mr.Burns wrote:
Hi Mindzy
I too had always had this hopeful vision of a merging of mods, so that the you could vote on/off the mod you want. Not individual elements of the mod as that would be painfully complex to code and operate, but the entire "feature set". I believe Baker was looking at something similar with his Universal server mod but I don't know how far he got with that. Sadly I've never had the QC knowledge to do this (else it would probably have been done by now) but imagine dropping in to console on Shmack or New York and typing "vote-rqp" to hear that ominous pinging of 96 runes hitting the ground and the fun begins. The same methodology might be usable for merging other Rune based mods like Deadzone or BDA.
Alas, as game coders move on to other pastures it seems increasingly unlikely to happen, but you never know, maybe some kind hearted QC'er will take pity on us ;)

Kind regards

Monty

The biggest hurdle we face is getting it deployed where the players congregate,or the opposite, getting the players congregating where it is deployed..... The very same issue occurs with dmtx being the "go to server" when it comes to team deathmatch gaming, anytime some one suggests "Hey lets go play at crmod.com" someone pipes in "Well, powersup don't glow through walls" and that completely ends the possibility of any TDM gaming occuring outside dmtx server.

I connected to the server yesterday and was awash with memory lane, and then it hit me : It's going to be really difficult to enjoy the runes found in this mod by myself :( Although it was worth its weight in gold to pick up these runes again!

One of the biggest issues I noticed, was that when I typed in commands it was the impulse for vote-exit doh!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:03 pm 
zop.runequake.com

RQP already has all the original runes, except maybe Requiem since it's the newest rune, so it seems you don't have to worry about putting all the runes together yourself, or switching mods by vote. One problem with RQP is not having enough admin/vote features, far as I know of it, and another is Slot running a different mod on his own servers, which seems silly to ask for.

Did we ever figure out if the glow through walls allows wallhacks to be used? I still think it introduces a problem by fixing another. I guess the only option is to make one myself and see what's happening.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:44 am 

@Slot running a different mod on his own servers, hummm last I checked it was the players server, they are funding it, but that is besides the point. No one said "run a different mod on his own servers" , I am pretty sure Monty and I explicitly was discussing a rune merger. As in ,all runes from the past making their way to the Shmack server/mod.

On another note, it's not like I'm starting a petition or anything. I just recall many fond moments of playing MANY variants of rune quake, and it all started with IHOC mod with Yugo2hecK, 4 classic runes. 23 frag limit, just another walk down memory lane! I played nearly every form of runes at one time or another, and I was just speaking my mindz hahahehehehaha!

@CRMOD.com glow through walls issue
No I gave up on that shit unfortunately, nearly every time I ever mentioned it I kept being mistaken for kimp. Come to think of it, I have rarely initiated a contact with Slot and NOT been re-contacted back asking me if I did indeed do the thing I did.

It's no skin off my back, as I ping literally the same to both servers.
However there are canadian and west coast quakers who would enjoy the glows through walls being enabled.

Just as Slot expects the community to trust the judgments of his Administrator PK, I would expect the same capacity for the very tightly knit TDM community to moderate itself, and we do. There is the rare exception and even that guy rarely shows up now days.

BLAH!

Tired of chasing my tail :evil: , I'll just continue playing where ever the TDM population plays at,and that won't be at CRMOD.com due to "glow through walls" does not exist on that server, point blank, that is why. I've read it so many times,and I've made the effort to help my fellow WestCoast/Canadian quakers many times and just been met with "Kimp?" so fuck it.

yes I am kimp, obv sarcasm though. Don't bane me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 am 
Site Admin

What it boils down to is that if you want quad/pent glow through walls, you're going to have to accept that wall hacking will also be possible during those times. The client needs to know at what origin to show the glow, so this information makes it vulnerable to such hacks. If that's something that nobody cares about, Zop can make the change.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 am 

@Zop , could you please flip the switch (so to speak) so that we have quad/pent glows through walls? This would be an early xmas present for the west coast / canadian TDM community.

If there is anything I can do to assist testing , let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:27 am 

I just wanted to say a thank you to Nekkid and Fire for some good "RuneQuakePlus" fun on the New York server (newyork.servequake.com:26010). I hope someone like Slot can work out a means of prohibiting Fire from using that damn trojan rune ;-)

Good games guys, I hope we can do it again this weekend 8) ...and maybe find the storm cloud rune Nekkid and I went there to find in the first place :wink:

If Slot/Zop/PF/IEEE are reading this I know it's IEEE's mod but if I want to remove the overly long delay for dropping a rune do I just add 65536 to the temp1 cvar? Aaaaaannnnd... to add a free hook do I add 524288 to the temp1 too ? Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Monty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:05 pm 

A good time WAS had by all! I am pleased you made the suggestion! I have mentioned the experience to a few people, subsequently, and keep hearing a response along the lines of "I get a poor ping to that server..." :|

Regarding the HOOK.... seriously, although I have learned to use it very effectively to become more of a 3-axis-player ... it is also very much a crutch for me; Despite nearly 20 years of playing, on certain maps, I forget how to get from point A to point B on foot, and rely, heavily, on the hook-shortcut from point to point.

Toss up on whether TROJAN or Ten Ton were my favorite rune!

Q_N

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:51 pm 
zop.runequake.com

Yes, whatever you have in temp1, add 65536 to it to get rid of the drop delay. Assuming IEEE didn't change that part (I would bet he did not.)

Depending on when IEEE forked the code, the way to enable free hook can be different. One old way is to add 262144 to temp1, another might be the number you used in your post. The newer way is via a command line on the server, but I believe the default setting is on for this version.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:27 am 

Zop wrote:
Yes, whatever you have in temp1, add 65536 to it to get rid of the drop delay. Assuming IEEE didn't change that part (I would bet he did not.)

Depending on when IEEE forked the code, the way to enable free hook can be different. One old way is to add 262144 to temp1, another might be the number you used in your post. The newer way is via a command line on the server, but I believe the default setting is on for this version.

Hi Zop and thanks for the advice ;). I have access to the NYC box so I will try and connect in tonight and try both of those options.

cobalt wrote:
Kool I just added this one to my Qview server list. Have not seen IEEE in a long while. If you need a QC guy to help / advise on anything lmk. There have been ALOT of things I saw on shmack I wanted to see fixed, and I have alot of ideas that I have never wrote here, but I guess Slot wants to keep Shmack as it is. I'm into experimenting with different stuff to make the game-play more interesting.

Oh and I was hanging there today and a new player came by....we tried to get him the new maps but the bigfoot.quake1.net server seemed down. Never can seem to get the !getmap command to work....though this time for me using !getmap -dp , the dl seems to at least try to work, but the total size of the map is: ???? and it winds up DLing a 0 byte map file all the time. Might be because the URL is not working I dunno.

Hi Cobalt
I seem to recall that there some problems with the quake1.net domain often resulting in servers appearing to be unreachable. If you point to bigfoot.servequake.com/maps/ should find it will reach it's target. Actually I think Polarite has replicated the repo to http://newyork.servequake.com/maps/ and http://damage.servequake.com/maps/ so you should be covered one way or another. Fortunately I normally use Proquake for multiplayer which downloads all maps from bigfoot automatically for me :D
Appreciate the offer of some Quake C help as I have a bit of blind spot in that area as Zop can attest :)

Kind regards

Monty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:44 pm 

Wohoo!! It worked. the New York Runequake Plus server (newyork.servequake.com:26010) now has the free hook and runes that drop instantly.

Thanks Zop :up:

Kind regards
Monty