Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: connection
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm 

I need some help here as it seems I can't stay connected to Shmack for more then 5 minutes at a time.I get no message when it happens just the phone icon.I can play on
any other server and its fine.Proquake v4.51 is what I use .....tried my Qrack and it disconnected as well ...any ideas.... i am not computer savy at all.

Thanks for anything
Sarah

Post subject: Re: connection
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:47 pm 
zop.runequake.com

Is it just the 26000 port, or do you get the same problem on 26001?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:01 am 

Zop it is on all of the ports as I tried RA and practice yesterday to see and it disconnected there as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:24 pm 

Well I've chatted to you on shmack about this, but my suggestion would be try Darkplaces firstly. If you have no luck there, then try pinging the server through cmd prompt. Let it run for 5-10 mins to see if you get cut off from there as well. If you do get disconnected pinging, then I can't really advise on that. You may also want to do a trace route on the server and see what kind of hops its making.

To briefly explain a hop, it the places a connection travels. For example, if i connect to a server in New York, my connection might hope from Toronto to Niagra to Buffalo then to New York.

If you do a trace route to shmack, and you see a hope that doesn't make sense (like if there's a hope way out of place) then that could be the problem. To do a trace route, you'll need to go into your router's control panel. I don't know anything about your router so google will be your friend for that one.

If you need any help pinging and doing a trace route just reply here and we can figure something out. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:03 pm 
deadzone.runecentral.com

Are you on a wireless connection? If so, there could be interference causing you to lose connection at random. If you're not on wireless but running direct from your network card, check your Ethernet cable to make sure it's snug at the modem/router.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:29 pm 

Sgt-PieFace wrote:
my suggestion would be try Darkplaces firstly.
The client won't make a difference.

Painkiller's suggestion may help. If your wireless even for a fraction of second isn't available, that's plenty of time to lose the server connection (because you router is likely to just simply reject everything coming from the server after a wireless connection reset, because it will think it was unrequested communication and your router blocks that.).

About 5 years I had that same problem you have and if I wanted to play online, I pretty much had to plug in the ethernet cable. :( I haven't had that problem in a long, long time but I long ago replaced that router.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm 

Baker I am not using wireless and Dark PLaces does stay connected......... i can stay connected on any other server but this with proquake and here it disconnects
every time after about 5mins .......am lost as to why

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 pm 

this is far fetched, but maybe try adding -oldnet to you command line?

to do this, make a shortcut to proquake, right-click, click properties. under the 'shortcut' tab, there will be a box called target. add -oldnet to the end. make sure there's a space between what ever's already there and -oldnet. For example, my command line would look like this: "C:\Program Files\Proquake\glpro493.exe" -oldnet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:04 pm 

What does that -oldnet do? Im curious. Im having some lag problems myself and wondering if that might help in any way..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:30 pm 

Well I'm not exactly sure what -oldnet DOES, but when I was playing quake on a windows 7 laptop, I was using proquake. I would get what is know as the 'connection accepted' error. I would try and connect to the server like normal, and the console would say 'connection accepted', but nothing owuld happen. -oldnet was a fix to that, so I thought it might fix this other problem. I don't think it will fix your problem Gem, but it won't mess anything up to try it.

If you want to try and find to root of your problem, you could try pinging and doing a trace route to shmack to find out if its a client only issue, or its simply on your end.

If you want to go more in depth with this, maybe start a new topic or PM me, because I don't want to derail this thread. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 pm 

Maybe upgrade to v4.93 Proquake, should any ways....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:51 pm 

Ez is this the thread you were talking about?: http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-talk/q ... hmack.html

Might wana check this out. Some info there and also a link to these forums with some more info. Hope this help. BTW are you using a cable connection?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:58 pm 

Here's something else you could try. In Darkplaces type 'shownetgraph 1' in the console. Connect to a server like FFANY and look at it, then go to Shmack and compare them. Also, leave it on until you get disconnect and see what the graph does. Maybe take screen shots and I can show 'em to Cobalt and see what he thinks.

Also, try 'cl_movement 1' in the console for Darkplaces since you said you didn't like the feel of Darkplaces.

'apropos cl_' will list all client side commands.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:11 pm 

I can confirm... I was connected for 3.5minutes and bam... packet loss galore.

I ran a ping -n 20 quake.shmack.net and I get 30% PL.

Pie reported no PL just now, while Cobalt reported about 20% PL with the same thing.

Pie is in Toronto, with 15 hops.

Cobalt is in Vermont with 10 hops.

I'm in Arizona with 18 hops.

I'm guessing if it were a backbone router all sorts of alarms would be going off, but I'll try pinging each and see if there's any PL in the hop pipeline. Else...you need a new NIC..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 pm 

Sgt-PieFace, lol...I forgot all about that one, little angry at first as Sarah must be. I know somewhere on Quakeone someone answered my questions and resolved the issue I was having, not unlike Sarah's problem. I just can't remember what the remedy was, maybe it was Rook who helped me out?
I'll keep looking...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:50 pm 

lol now everyone comes in with their connection problems :)

Im sure Sarah is not forgotten, in fact while I was ingame, she changed her client to 4.93 but then quit, so I dont know if that really worked for her or she lost her connection again

I guess lots have connections problems... lol I dont know, it just doesn't play that great anymore. I get chops and spikes, and SaToon is even reporting slideshows on his screen sometimes

Something somewhere is a problem, well regardless, I do think it's great we all gather here and discuss about it :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 pm 

Been talking with gunm4n and Cobalt, and its possible that depending on where you connect from, there may be a bad hop or switch. Will update when I know more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:04 pm 

I just remember I was having the same issues....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:36 pm 

Maybe it was something that I added to the target line, command line?
Man I'm getting old!
Ez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:49 am 

sarah wrote:
Baker I am not using wireless and Dark PLaces does stay connected
Others thought you were using wireless ... I thought you were too.

Well, that changes things quite a bit.

The main differences between classic Quakes (ProQuake, Qrack, etc.) and DarkPlaces:

1) If you have pq_maxfps in ProQuake set too high -- like using a crazy number like 500 or 9999 --- your connection might not be able to handle how often your client is trying to send messages to the server. AFAIK, DarkPlaces probably doesn't have that problem and may limit messages sent.

2) DarkPlaces may not give up so easily on the connection if it is having trouble sending/receiving and may just carry on until a timeout period is hit. The classic engines abort on any failed communication attempt because they must. (DarkPlaces uses what is called "connectionless connections" and can get away with that behavior. Classic Quakes network code uses a "connection" which any failure breaks the connection. This is why if you try connecting to a server ProQuake it has to wait for the server to establish the connection and it takes a split second or 2, but if you try connecting with DarkPlaces there is basically no delay because the client isn't trying to establish a connection. Yes, I know this info is of limited value to almost anyone reading this because it's too technical.)

The above is quite different than the wireless acting up scenario I thought you were experiencing.

So Sgt-Pieface +100