Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small ideas for next JQ release
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:35 am 

4 small ideas for next JQ release

1. Maybe have fmod.dll in joequake folder instead of Quake. JQpro, Tremor and other engines use keep overwriting each others fmod.dll. But since the files in quake/joequake are required for joequake to run, might as well throw fmod.dll in there too so other engines don't overwrite the file.

2. Make screenshots saved in joequake/screenshots (like Sput does). I'd like to make an installer that has a shortcut to view your screenshots without having pak0.pak and configs hanging around.

3. Make PNG the default format for screenshots. TGA is so 1990's, and it isn't even a web ready file format and those files are huge.

4. Fix GFX.WAD not found error for good by having JoeQuake make the working directory from where it is located. Here is what is happening

People with GFX.WAD error are doing this wrote:
A user decides to open his Quake folder and make a shortcut for JoeQuake-GL and place it on his desktop.

Then the user clicks on the shortcut, it says Cannot find gfx.wad. Everyone wants an easy access shortcut for Quake. Yes, they could set the Working Directory, but most of those players aren't technical and then bang their heads against a wall because they don't know why it isn't working.

If JoeQuake used the folder where it resided as the working directory in the executable itself, this problem would go away forever. I'm no C programmer, but it is my understanding that an app gets information passed to it about where it is being called from. Just use that location as the base directory.

These are little things, that's for sure. But in context I think they'd be really userfriendly improvements. No more troubles if you use JoeQuake and (insert other client here) with fmodl.dll issues, no more gfx.wad error if newbie makes a JQ shortcut on desktop, save their hard drive space by using PNG, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:42 pm 

1., 2. OK

3. JPEG would be even better now that JQ supports it.

4. I don't get this and never did. wtf?!? Don't you ppl use ONE quake dir which has an id1 dir, in which there's pak0.pak with that gfx.wad??? Well if not, I'd _HEAVILY_ suggest to plz do so. Thank You.
But probably I misunderstood you Baker...?

Last edited by Jozsef on Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:36 pm 

Jozsef wrote:
Don't you ppl use ONE quake dir which has an id1 dir, in which there's pak0.pak with that gfx.wad??? Well if not, I'd _HEAVILY_ suggest to plz do so. Thank You.

ROFL! Hehe, yeah, I don't understand THOSE people but hey, they keep posting.

I'm still laughing about your response :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:25 am 

My personal recommendation regarding overwritting files is to use seperate Quake dirs for each engine. I usually have 3-4 different Quake installs going at any one time:

- Tremor - obviously. :wink:
- aRQ-Lite - also obviously. :wink: :wink:
- QuakeWorld - Currently using FuhQuake.
- QuakeTest - place the Quake engine du jour in this one.

Mixing and matching, even with engines other than those of the JoeQuake family, is asking for trouble. Way too many times the problems I try to fix for people is due to corrupted installs or overwritten config files.

Just MO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:31 am 

I like the idea of having fmod in /joequake. Also, using one quake directory for joequake/joequake pro(aka qrack)/proquake is more convenient cause then all your maps, sounds, etc can go in /id1 and be read by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:04 am 
quake.intertex.net

Just to further simplify things, Joequake 1.4dev uses fmod v3.73f, so does Tremor, so does Qrack(jqpro), so in the /quake folder fmod can stay.
I redownloaded the lastest jq and dropped the fmod.dll in /quake and qrack and tremor both work just fine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:02 pm 

btw, the fmod.dll is only needed when you play nehahra, otherwise not. I've changed this in the last release so that it won't stop at start if you don't have the dll even if you play nehahra! I just prints out a warning msg in the console that "fmod module not found" and than it won't play any compressed sounds.