quake.intertex.net

Workin on a new version..

some stuff added:

added control keys WHILE watching demos:
LEFTARROW: Rewind
RIGHTARROW: FORWARD
UPARROW: increase cl_demospeed
DOWNARROW: decrease cl_demospeed
ENTER: reset to Forward, normal demospeed.

Testing Decal code... (stable?)

:D

any other requests??

Post subject: Re: Qrack 1.54
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:16 pm 

sputnikutah wrote:
any other requests??

how about a toggle command. which toggles a variable between 1 and 0?

Last edited by RocketGuy on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:29 pm 

Here are a few ideas from XQuake.

XQuake 1.05 allows you to adjust the glow size of powerups, missile and lightening. The lightening model is the basic one from GLQuake but is aesthetically more pleasing with the blueish glow. You can reduce the effect or disable it if you find it distracting.

XQuake 1.05

You can advance up or down a line in the buffer using Page Up and Page Down, and I believe, holding the ctrl button lets you move a page at a time. Is there a way to quickly advance to the start and end of the buffer? Why not use "home" and "end" for that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:43 pm 

These might be something very difficult or nearly impossible (Except #3):

1. Freelook + freemove ability during demoplayback

2. EZQuake bubbly lava?

3. cl_showmapname 1/0 like in those SDA Promo videos where it shows the map name.

4. cl_showcustomtext 1/0, cl_setcustomtext "My name or whatever", cl_customtext_x and cl_customtext_y

#3 and #4 would have particular use in demos and screenshots. I always liked those SDA demos where it showed Joszef speed running with his name on-screen and the mapname.

If #4 were made, it would it easy to make AVI movies for mods (where a viewer cannot be expected to have a demo) or tutorials or vanity demos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:50 pm 

my request would be to keep up the nifty work and add cool tiny features without saturating the game. try to be practical :)

anyways.. great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:55 pm 
quake.intertex.net

1.> already implemented from v1.0 while watching a demo press mouse1 freelook, mouse2 freemove.
2.> Will need to look at that. But I have considered adding Nvidia shaders for liquids.
3.> Apon Connection or map change large centerprint of the map name?

4.> could be cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:39 pm 

sputnikutah wrote:
1.> already implemented from v1.0 while watching a demo press mouse1 freelook, mouse2 freemove.

Wow, I didn't expect that (I didn't even think anyone had thought of that).

Mapname print, in the SDA demos they had it down in the bottom left corner in an area maybe half an inch above where the hud would be (I think they were using viewsize 120 = no hud in the AVI movie).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:46 am 
quake.intertex.net

Automatic water transparency is working..

this means that you dont have to vis your maps... (only for local games and demos-- not online) Adds the ability to see everything thru the water.
Doesnt require r_novis 1 ONLY r_wateralpha < 1. I might even remove r_novis cause its a laggy hackjob..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:13 pm 

there's something different about gl_vertexlights 1 in this new version.. it sort of screws up the weapon model. plus the decals are clipping when watching from different angles

i'm aware this is a beta.. don't wanna flame but the gl_vertexlights thing bothers me :)
i'll post screenshots tomorrow cause now i'm tired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:23 pm 
quake.intertex.net

hmm i see now what you mean. It's almost like gl_smoothmodels 0
kinda cubic, grrr! :P will fix....

EDIT: It's fixed! Thank's i was averaging lightpoints after normalizing vertices should be before.. oops!

You mean u see the decals slip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:15 am 

i was saying that when shooting a rocket into a wall/floor and you move around with the view focused on the decal the rocket left.. the decal flickers or becomes partially invisible

also if shooting with a rocket on the edge of a wall.. half of the decal is suspended in air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:40 am 
quake.intertex.net

Ya that decal system doesnt clip to surfaces... actually i think the decals are a bit buggy thus causing a freeze in the last beta...i'm considering scrapping the decals since they are causing problems plus without clipping looks kinda goofy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:38 am 

I was reading thru some of the docs and one feature bothers me:

Quote:
gl_textureless makes all map textures 1 basic color, saves fps.

I know it is for FPS improvement, but I think some might consider this a pak2ish multiplayer advantage over other clients.

Toyo_Mr2 and maybe some others lobbied Joszef to not have r_fullbrightskins usable in multiplayer and to eliminate the Quad/Pent glowing thru walls thing.

I think one of the nice things about "NetQuake" is that if you go play on max.essentrix.net you have a fairly high confidence level that everyone is playing Quake "how Quake was meant to be".

Quakeworld has evolved to be a place where everyone plays with single color textures and fullbright solid white ghost player skins and I'd hate to see that happen in NetQuake. Those would be considered pak2 cheats in on our servers.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday next year there were a way for JoeQuake/QRack/ProQuake to all play in a cheat-free mode if -no24bit were imposed and particles were forced to classic.

(Yeah, shadows probably shouldn't be permitted in multiplayer either but at least those come with an FPS penalty and they can be annoying. Sure you could install single color custom textures but that requires effort, not typing a command in the console.)

Maybe this is no different than setting mipscale or texture quality to the worst. If so, that isn't really a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:11 am 

now seriously.. who'd wanna cheat in a 10 years old game especially in just-for-fun online games?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:04 am 
quake.intertex.net

Well the way that gl_textureless works, its not like r_fullbright... because it still uses the color of the actual texture base, and shading. So, if the wall is blue, its still blue.. or black or red or brown etc... but without the grainyness of the detail.. so its more like gl_picmip 10
If tere was to be a merged cheatfree client/server id have to use proquake as a base without the fancy stuff, and add hardware gamma control and interpolated animations... :D
oh and i did remove r_fullbrightskins completely from the engine.. quite a dumb cheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:56 am 

sputnikutah wrote:
Well the way that gl_textureless works, its not like r_fullbright... because it still uses the color of the actual texture base, and shading. So, if the wall is blue, its still blue.. or black or red or brown etc... but without the grainyness of the detail.. so its more like gl_picmip 10
If tere was to be a merged cheatfree client/server id have to use proquake as a base without the fancy stuff, and add hardware gamma control and interpolated animations... :D
oh and i did remove r_fullbrightskins completely from the engine.. quite a dumb cheat

If it's just like picmip 10, then it's nothing to worry about then.

Based on the description, I was worried it would make the whole map white or some other single color aka "solid background color cheat".

Quote:

Wasn't that meant for use to make the player look cooler with chase_active 1 when converting DEM to AVI, like in the SDA promo video?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:22 pm 

gl_truelightning 1 doesn't work in singleplayer games, only in multiplayer. why?

plus Qrack crashes alot when playing Mission Pack#1 - Scourge Of Armagon.. i'll come back later with details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:23 pm 

Aquashark wrote:
gl_truelightning 1 doesn't work in singleplayer games, only in multiplayer. why?

plus Qrack crashes alot when playing Mission Pack#1 - Scourge Of Armagon.. i'll come back later with details

Because it was messing up recording demos or playing them in non-JoeQuake clients or something to that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:33 pm 
quake.intertex.net

aqua grab version 1.5.3 off the website (http://www.quakeone.com/qrack)
it doesnt have celshading or decals. Decals caused lockups do to the way i was spuratically adding particles off of particles then killing the parent particle and thus it would lose the chain.. (kapeish?) it worked a little bit but then all hell would break loose when there was a call past the end of the chain that didnt exist. So,the crash in mission pack might be cause of this. Until i revamp the decals and give them its own render chain its out. The celshading on the other hand worked, but it screwed up pointers to the texture1d and thus with skyboxes you got a section painted with the playerskin texture :shock: so that is on the back burner...

so 1.53 is a stepforward, but a sure-foot
beta releases are experimental and just show whats in the pipes and will most-likely crash....

I did turn off truelighting on single player games.. cause it caused a problem with e1 maps but then if u are cheating and use impulse 9 then you deserve a crash anyway. so i re-enabled the truelight in single player mode. But not on demoplayback..

Post subject: fix
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:35 am 
quake.intertex.net

Ok fixed the skybox bug when using celshading.....

further testing will solidify this but im pretty sure all is working.. :)

next todo/wishlist:

celshading on md3's
r_outline on map (with culling)
crosshair image selectable in menu (actually show the image)
decals with clipping
shadows clipping to world...
builtin server browser
etc.. etc..