Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JoeQuake GL 0.15 development release Tour
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:19 am 

First, JoeQuake can look exactly like classic Quake. But, my screenshots don't look like that because I am using Yellow's Texture Pack and Joszef's Yellow HUD characters and some different v_weapon models.

The above is what the menu looks like using JoeQuake-GL 0.15. The graphics replacements are contained in the pak.

Crosshair and mlook have been added to the menu (so new players don't have to read console command references to find out how to use such simple features).

Multiplayer Optimized ON/OFF turns on or off bobbing and damage kicks and makes the console come down fast. No more having newbies have to learn about their config.cfg just to have a reasonably decent setup.

Plus, in single player most people like the weapon to bob as you run, etc. But in multiplayer that's a terrible setup.

Picture of the menu. All the special effects can be turned on or off.

Here is the start map using 24 bit textures. You don't have to use these. In this shot, the crosshair is "crosshair 6". I'm not using crosshair 1, the classic Quake crosshair in this screenshot.

Also, JoeQuake 0.15 uses JPG screenshots by default. No more 1 MB per screenshot using those massive TGAs in GL. You can change the screenshot type to JPG, PNG or TGA.

JPG uses lossy compression degrading the image quality a little, PNG has no quality loss but PNGs are larger and TGA are far larger than either. JPG is fine for almost all screenshots. JoeQuake's screenshot limit isn't 99 like standard Quake, it's 999.

The particle menu. You can select per effect type whether to use the QMB enhanced particles or the classic Quake versions.

JoeQuake 0.15 uses inverse squaring of shadows. JoeQuake 0.14 had a shadow slider bar that wasn't really very useful because setting shadows to 1 looked all wrong.

The multiplayer menu has changed.

Here is the Quake Name Maker. To get to it ...

Multiplayer --> Setup --> Name Maker

It works, but this is a development release and it doesn't update the name field on setup so you need to press ESC rather than "Accept Changes" for the name to properly take effect right now.

Here is an example of adding a server to the server list. Unfortunately, right now this is not saving to session to session.

Again, not saving session to session right now.

Variable completion example. JoeQuake has had this a while.

Press "CL_" in the console and press TAB and all variables that begin CL_ will be displayed.

What has changed in 0.15 is that typing a cvar like "cl_bobbing" in the console with no value will display the default value.

And, top right corner, the new "adjust volume on demand" feature. Pressing keypad "-" or "+" will adjust the volume up or down.

No more going to the menu to turn the volume up or down

There are more features, but these were the ones most easily displayed in screenshots.

Last edited by Baker on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 am 

Excellent overview, Baker!

I just have a question, those menu graphics (Quake written vertically with the ID symbol and all the nice big menu text), are they Moon[Drunk]'s or Yellow #5's? If they are not moon's, I suggest you pimp them on besmella-quake as well so qw'ers can use them as well.

Also, fuhquake/zquake/ezquake/fte/ have had +mlook in their menus for a while, not sure if you were talking about nq or qw though.

Great job Jozsef on the new build ! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:33 am 

Up2nOgOoD[ROCK] wrote:
I just have a question, those menu graphics (Quake written vertically with the ID symbol and all the nice big menu text), are they Moon[Drunk]'s or Yellow #5's? If they are not moon's, I suggest you pimp them on besmella-quake as well so qw'ers can use them as well.

They look like Moondrunk's work to me, but I don't know. They are in the JoeQuake 0.15 DEV pak file so Joszef would have to tell us.

Quote:
Also, fuhquake/zquake/ezquake/fte/ have had +mlook in their menus for a while, not sure if you were talking about nq or qw though.

Yeah, I was talking about NQ. Actually, I spotted another Quake client with that as well, so I'll have to edit that now that I noticed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:16 am 

hey nice work! it looks very nice...just said becouse joequake dont load all modes iet!!!

like marque or nehahara

Last edited by trinca on Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:39 am 

Quote:
They look like Moondrunk's work to me, but I don't know. They are in the JoeQuake 0.15 DEV pak file so Joszef would have to tell us.

err... yeah, these are the ones made by Moondrunk I guess. Well to be honest I met these images first in teh fuhquake pack but I suppose those were made by Moondrunk, so they're the same ones. I just liked those ones always a bit better than the "metal" ones so I decided to make the missing JoeQuake menus (mainmenu, multiplayer) in that style. But yes, all the images are the ones by Moondrunk. Hope he's not upset for forgeting to mention him in the credits... damn, I always forget something when making a new build *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:33 am 

hey why in this new version the log goes to joequake directory??? i start like this...

cd..
joequake.exe -game waypoints_maker +map misdm8 -condebug

in version from 5-01-2005 the log goes to waypoints_maker and know goes to joequake directory :(

any way to change this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:24 am 

wow, you destroyed half the purpose of autoexec.cfg with this update. All those aliases for listing servers and changing volume now waisted! :lol:

my server list alias stays the same per session though. Sucka :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:36 am 

Very nice introduction to Joequake (0.15) :wink: another good job at promoting Joequake and convincing people to switch to it (tell your friends!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:01 pm 

Canadian*Sniper wrote:
wow, you destroyed half the purpose of autoexec.cfg with this update. All those aliases for listing servers and changing volume now waisted! :lol:

my server list alias stays the same per session though. Sucka :D

Agreed. The most amazing thing that has occurred to me about this release is that I don't have to make my config.cfg read-only anymore like I have with Quake for a long, long time and I can still turn on/off weapon bobbing when you run. (If you don't have bobbing in single player, it feels all wrong).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:19 pm 

I like the up and down bobbing in multi (i dont play 1 player :P) but the swaying left to right is annoying :P

Not to insult your programmers intelligence Jozsef but why not save a file into the JoeQuake directory with the server list in that? Then when JoeQuake opens, check if there's a file with the server list in the directory and load it up if there are no error.

Ofcourse, I'm saying this as if you were having trouble with this but yet again, baker didn't specify that you were having trouble :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:51 am 

Quote:
Not to insult your programmers intelligence Jozsef but why not save a file into the JoeQuake directory with the server list in that? Then when JoeQuake opens, check if there's a file with the server list in the directory and load it up if there are no error.

I save a file called servers.txt into the main quake folder which contains the servers you already added, it DOES save/load, it works for me 100% fine (dunno what's your problem Baker). I chose the main quake folder instead of the joequake one to let other engines (like FuhQuake) use the list shared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:09 am 

right, you're a logical thinker like a programmer should be then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:11 am 

Baker made a weapons pack a while back it's quite good you can get it here:

http://www.besmella-quake.com/forum/vie ... apons+dump

Last edited by Ranger on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:07 pm 

i recall seeing this is a previous post. The silver rl + gl and futuristic lg kickass.