Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: JoeQuake Scoreboard
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:06 pm 

#1 Hey Joszef, whenever you have time, it would be REALLY nice if the scoreboard pings feature worked properly.

I've read at least 6 or 7 comments where someone complained something like "Then Joequake came out with a new version with this annoying bug with the scoreboard" and they usually ask a friend what's wrong with it.

I really like JoeQuake 0.15. That one problem is the first thing that gets noticed.

#2 Have the server list store where QRack does it (assuming QRack does that). Right now the JoeQuake server list stores where Quakeworld does, meaning an ideal install with a server list would kill a Quakeworlder's server list.

I'm just mentioning this because I've been a big fan of the engine since I discovered it.

(Thank you for registering at QuakeOne.com by the way.)

Post subject: Re: JoeQuake Scoreboard
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:06 am 

Baker wrote:

Who is the asshole jerkface that said that?! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:17 am 

You weren't being a jerk, about half the players that I've told about JoeQuake 0.15 immediately say "my scoreboard is broke, what am I doing wrong".

I regrettably have to say, "Well, right now that feature isn't working."

I saw that question at least 4 times, maybe as many as 6 times, on the now dead Singed forum. And that's just the ones that bothered to post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:56 pm 

Quote:
#1 Hey Joszef, whenever you have time, it would be REALLY nice if the scoreboard pings feature worked properly.

I've read at least 6 or 7 comments where someone complained something like "Then Joequake came out with a new version with this annoying bug with the scoreboard" and they usually ask a friend what's wrong with it.

I really like JoeQuake 0.15. That one problem is the first thing that gets noticed.

yea you're absolutely right I have to say. I wanted to make an own version of the ping which is different from the one in ProQuake, coz dont like that one much. I tell you why. ProQuake uses a special server message for sending ping updates but that means it's progs side entirely. So it only works under the mod that supports it. I was planning to make this only from the engine side, but unfortunately it's not as simple as I beleived. I could make it if I wanted enough badly, I'd just like to write it good. Okay I'm a bit lazy too with it I know...

Quote:
#2 Have the server list store where QRack does it (assuming QRack does that). Right now the JoeQuake server list stores where Quakeworld does, meaning an ideal install with a server list would kill a Quakeworlder's server list.

All sure. Where to put it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:56 pm 
quake.intertex.net

actually thers another way besides the pqc_ that crmod sends

it stuffs a cmd to the client buffer "ping\n", when the player hold down tab, every 1 second. Then cl_parse sees that and updates a timer. Based on the time that it sent and recieved the message it concludes the ping.
Look in void CL_ParseProQuakeString (char *string) in proquake and void Sbar_DeathmatchOverlay (void) in sbar.c, also cl_parseServerMessage
this:
case svc_print:
// JPG - check to see if the message contains useful information
s = MSG_ReadString();
CL_ParseProQuakeString(s);

I dont even use pqc_ping_times, cause it screws up on servers that dont support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:01 am 

Jozsef wrote:
Quote:

All sure. Where to put it?

Well, bad news. The servers list in QRack stores in the same place as in JoeQuake, which is the same place as QW ---> quake/servers.txt

The ideal situation is where QW and JoeQuake/QRack can peacefully co-exist in the same Quake folder.

Suggested places:

quake/servers.lst
quake/id1/servers.txt

These are just my thoughts. It would be better if it were outside the joequake folder so Qrack and JoeQuake could use the same one.

Anywhere non-client specific is good than doesn't interfere with QW is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:47 pm 

how'bout quake/joequake.nq? Sput, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:08 pm 
quake.intertex.net

Honest does QW store it in /quake or /qw ?

I think /quake (basedir) is the best place, instead of gamedir.
"NQ_Servers.txt" or "servers.lst or joequake.nq whichever :P or add the option to supply a filename from the user.
I started working on making the server list atleast report who is on the servers, but im not finished yet with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:56 pm 

servers.lst is a good choice but I don't care as long as it doesn't have an underscore in it :D :D

And yep, that's exactly (c:\quake\servers.txt) where FuhQuake/EZQuake store the list. Not very convenient to those with both QW and regular Quake installed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:24 pm 

I'm bumping this thread just for the sake of doing so.

I want to wrap up the JoeQuake Launcher and it would look bad if the scoreboard ping thing were still not working.

Jozsef, I imagine you have a busy life and I'm not trying to rush you.

Whenever is fine by me, whether it is days, weeks or months. I feel guilty for not spreading the word as much about 0.15 release but the ones that have downloaded it always ask about the scoreboard ping problem and I wanted to wait until this was fixed.

Just an aside ... the ProQuake ping code has, as far as I recall, never failed to work properly regardless of what I am connected to (ProQuake server, regular Quake server, whatever).