Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [BUG] Shmack map repeats
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:06 pm 

I enjoy playing Rune Quake every once in a while, when i do i play at Shmack. Though I've noticed the same maps keep showing up again and again. Those maps are Palace of Hate, Hell's Atrium, The Ebon Fortress, and Wizard's Manse. Maybe it's just me, but they seem to be the only maps that ever show up when i play (about once or twice a week as of late). I know there are more maps than that on the server, but they must have a very low chance of being selected. Either that or those maps i mentioned have a far higher chance of being played than other maps. I've noticed the maps are selected by percentages.

I like all of those maps, but i don't want to only play those ones. I'd like play other maps as well. Like i said though maybe It's just been a coincidence and those maps happen to be up only every time i join the server. I have a feeling that's not entirely the case though. Anyways, maybe someone in charge can look into it, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

All of the maps have been in the rotation for about a month or more. Maps are chosen according to their size. If the server is active, the larger levels will appear more frequently than the rest. If you want a specific level, you can vote for it by typing its name, but with a larger number of players that often isn't very productive.

I'll tweak the percentages a bit so that more medium sized maps can appear.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:19 am 

I'm still seeing the same 3 large maps in a row a lot. Palace of Hate, then Hell's Atrium, then Nameless City. They always play in a row, 1, 2, 3. I think Azure Agony always comes after that too but i'm not sure. Wizards Manse also still shows up pretty often it seems. Maybe tweak the % a little more. Would like to see medium/large maps have about the same % of being chosen when there are 7 or more people playing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:41 pm 

bump

Still seeing the 'usual' maps all too much. Elder God Shrine, Palace of Hate, Hell's Atrium, Nameless City, and Wizard's Manse. Ebon Fortress seems to show up a lot too. I'm so tired of these maps, even though they are good rune maps. Wouldn't mind seeing them off the server for a month or so. Seems like at least 80% of the time one of those maps is being played. There's a lot of good quake maps i haven't seen for long time, or that hardly ever show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:50 am 

Quote:
Elder God Shrine, Palace of Hate, Hell's Atrium, Nameless City, and Wizard's Manse. Ebon Fortress

Hehe ... I love all those maps except Wizard's Manse (hehe).

You could always go to quake.shmack.net:26002 and do "vote-normal" and "do vote-hook" and start up a game. Other players tend to notice when action is going on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:40 pm 

Am I the only one noticing that those maps mentioned above are being played 80+% of the time? I miss playing other maps, ones i haven't seen in a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

I've been meaning to tweak the percentages a bit to allow more medium maps to play when a large number of players are on. I'll update it here when I'm done.

Update: I'm done.

Last edited by Slot Zero on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:42 pm 

Once in awhile when the server has a decent number of people on and a map ends (score hits 50), it'll say in the console "Map seeing X people, loading a large level next" or whatever... then a bunch of people leave before the map change happens. Then the large map loads and there's only 3 people playing. Is there some way to delay the map choice several seconds after the score hits 50 to see if people leave?

Also, oftentimes they'll be a couple people idling on the server (not playing). The number of players on the server will be higher but only 3 or 4 are actually playing. In this circumstance, large maps load again. Is there some way to determine if the # of active players to base the map selection on, and not the total number of players on the server at that time? (not a big issue, just a question)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:18 pm 
Site Admin

steve wrote:
Is there some way to delay the map choice several seconds after the score hits 50 to see if people leave?

This is already being done.

steve wrote:
Is there some way to determine if the # of active players to base the map selection on, and not the total number of players on the server at that time?

Again, this is already being done. The only time observers are counted is when they are queued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:36 pm 

Well then why does the server tend to load e4mx maps when there's only 4 players on the server? What is the threshold (in general) of # of players per small/medium/large maps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:31 am 

Take a look at teh source code :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:12 am 

Map selection has been better lately, thanks for tweaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:34 pm 

I would really like it if DM3 and DM2 we're in the rotation as well as a couple of custom maps

FragTown Maps?

there definately should be a dm map inbetween all the big e#m#'s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

All standard maps are in the rotation. I don't like custom maps on the main server. I ran a custom maps server on 26001 for the longest time and I never had more than a few players connecting each month.

If you're looking for fun custom maps server with new runes, try Beat Down Alley.

Get the maps here: http://www.runequake.com/bda/bda_maps.zip

Server address: bda.essentrix.net or 69.64.35.137

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:37 pm 

are you positive there are DM maps in the rotation?

i been playing for about 3 - 4 hours every couple of days, and havent seen one DM map, just the usual azure agony, wizards maze

the palace of hate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Play longer? :) :) Or vote for the level. Sometimes if you just ask people to please vote because you would really like to see the level, they'll vote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:23 pm 

I don't know, I don't think i've ever seen DM2, DM4 or DM6 being played on the server unless people voted for it, and i play frequently. I think there is still a problem with Shmack's map selection process, not sure what it is, maybe it just need some more tweaking, but i suspect there's some other kind of bug that tends to play the certain same maps much more than other maps.

I'm pretty sure these 5 maps are always played in this order: Elder God Shrine->Palace of Hate->Hell's Atrium->Nameless City->Azure Agony

Maybe that's just how the rotation is. Still though, the rotation has been better since the last tweaking. If people would just vote once in while it would be fine, but no one seems to vote, unless the vote is for the Start map. I would think others would get tired of playing the same ole' maps so much like i am, but i guess most people just play a couple times a week and don't notice it as much as i do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

I've made another tweak to the level selection code. Please let me know if it makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:12 am 

I haven't played a whole lot lately but the level selection does appear to be better. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do "Elder God Shrine->Palace of Hate->Hell's Atrium->Nameless City->Azure Agony" in order all the time anymore. Thanks for tweaking again. I'll try to start playing more so i can find something else to complain about =J