Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Linux Server
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:33 pm 

I'm trying to host a dedicated server for RQuake on the secondary proc of my arch-linux machine. I was going to use the recommended sqpro engine for doing it, but couldn't find a copy. I tried using the newest version of the darkplaces-dedicated linux server, however when running the RQuake mod it presents the following error:

^7Server listening on address 0.0.0.0:26000
^7Host_Error: PRVM_EDICT_NUM: server: bad number -705712 (called at prvm_execprogram.h:204)
^7Quake Error: Host_Error: PRVM_EDICT_NUM: server: bad number -705712 (called at prvm_execprogram.h:204)

Any thoughts?

edit:

Also tried fteqw linux-dedicated server and it crashed with the error:

======== FTE QuakeWorld Initialized ========
couldn't exec server.cfg
couldn't exec ftesrv.cfg
IP address 192.168.1.111:27500
IP address [c0a8:016f:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000]:27501
Using NQ progs
Loaded progs.dat
<progs.dat>
: InternalInit
: worldspawn

COM_WriteFile: ssqccore.txt
SV_Error: OP_LOAD references invalid entity in InternalInit
Server ended
Fatal error: SV_Error: OP_LOAD references invalid entity in InternalInit

./RQuake-ftewq: line 4: 8034 Segmentation fault ./fteqw -game rquake -dedicated 8 -noipx -condebug -heapsize 32768 -zone 1024 -udpport 26000 +map intro

Post subject: Re: Linux Server
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

lunchbox wrote:
I was going to use the recommended sqpro engine for doing it, but couldn't find a copy.

Here is proquake (sqpro) 3.50,

ftp://ftp.runequake.com/quake/engines/p ... pro350.zip

The official proquake website is,

http://proquake.planetquake.gamespy.com/

you could also use,

http://www.proquake.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:28 pm 

here is sqpro-r:
http://www.quake-1.com/rquake-dist/sqpro.7z

you should use that, the original sqpro is not suitable for rquake.
we will be releasing rquake 1.2 very soon (this week) so you might want to wait until that's done before setting your server up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:07 pm 

In the RQuake package, the sqpro-r comes in a zip, although maybe the documentation wasn't good enough indicating where that was:

c:\quake\rquake\devkit\engine-sources\linux-dedicated-server-sqpro-r.zip

It would be in the above location, adjusted to where RQuake was actually installed.

/just for future reference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:04 pm 

@Baker
Yeah, I didn't see sqpro in the engine sources. I guess I just read over it in the manual or something. thanks for the reply.

@Rocketguy
Ok, I'll hold off on setting up the server. thanks for the heads up

@Slot Zero
thanks for the quick reply, I think I'll take Rocketguy's advice and hold off until v1.2 is out.

Question:
I've been hearing of trouble with libvga in sqpro. Is this going to be a problem in v1.2 and are there any quick fixes. I'm running SVGALib 1.9 branch on the server machine to render several other projects and I am scared that since rquake seems to be compiled with <=1.4 branch that I'm going to have issues.

Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:38 pm 

libvga problems shouldn't affect you if you're running a dedicated server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:27 pm 

RocketGuy, I've heard that libvga problems do affect compiling the dedicated server. It seemed to be a problem for div0.

Someone who is more of a Linux expert like Slot or Magnesium or even Canadian Sniper might be able to confirm or correct me on this.

Maybe ask Aalchemy if this is true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:42 am 

maybe, but he doesn't have to compile, i gave him the link to already compiled sqpro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:07 pm 

Rocketguy, I experienced the following error while running the file you linked:

./sqpro.dat: error while loading shared libraries: libvga.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I saw a precompiled binary of the old vgalib on the svgalib website I think I will try that next.

However, is there anyway to make the darkplaces-dedicated server or fteqw server (both support qw and netquake) work with RQuake?

They don't seem to have any dependencies other than the optional libCURL library for file transfers and also the optional ZLIB for running compressed files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:58 pm 

Unfortunately, RQuake doesn't work with DarkPlaces or FTEQW -- uses some non-standard QCCX QuakeC for string manipulation and other things not possible without it that don't work on heavily modified Quake engines.

SQPRO-R can be compiled from the source:

- Quake Engine Source Code (Download). This is needed since the ProQuake src is not the full project.
- ProQuake Engine Source (http://www.proquake.com)
- RQuake's three changed source files (download)

Basically take the Quake engine source, overlay the ProQuake source according to the readme and then overlay the 3 changed engine source files with the RQuake enginesrc.zip.

That's as much as I know. I can compile the engine in Windows, but I personally know little about Linux and have heard that compiling in Linux is not necessarily easy. I hope that was enough information to be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:43 pm 

Thanks Baker, I was getting ready to compile from source (it is linux after all) when I decided to give the precompiled svgalib from the the official svgalib website a try. Surprisingly, all you have to do is copy the libvga.so.1 file from their website to /lib. Unfortunately there was an incompatibility with my version of libm.so.6 (it was looking for libm.so.5). A symlink (ln -s /lib/libm.so.6 /lib/libm.so.5) got sqpro to run as a dedicated server.

Unfortunately, it says that modified games can't be run from a shareware copy of Quake. This is strange seeing as how I can host a normal Quake1 Coop game using the same pak0.pak and pak1.pak and play e4m1 without a hitch on darkplaces or fteqw. I believe this warrants further investigation. I will post an update if I can figure out what its babbling about.

(still waiting patiently for the 1.2 release :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:56 pm 

well.. is your quake shareware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:32 pm 

lunchbox wrote:
Thanks Baker, I was getting ready to compile from source (it is linux after all) when I decided to give the precompiled svgalib from the the official svgalib website a try. Surprisingly, all you have to do is copy the libvga.so.1 file from their website to /lib. Unfortunately there was an incompatibility with my version of libm.so.6 (it was looking for libm.so.5). A symlink (ln -s /lib/libm.so.6 /lib/libm.so.5) got sqpro to run as a dedicated server.

Unfortunately, it says that modified games can't be run from a shareware copy of Quake. This is strange seeing as how I can host a normal Quake1 Coop game using the same pak0.pak and pak1.pak and play e4m1 without a hitch on darkplaces or fteqw. I believe this warrants further investigation. I will post an update if I can figure out what its babbling about.

(still waiting patiently for the 1.2 release :D )

RQuake uses a number of monsters from the registered version of Quake.

Btw ... the registered version of Quake is PAK1.PAK.

Shareware Quake is pak0.pak

Registered Quake is pak0.pak + pak1.pak.

The server has to be running the registered version of Quake, so do the clients.

Pak1.pak contains Vores, Hell Knights, Fish, Enforcers and all maps E2M1 thru E4M8 (see map reference, http://www.runequake.com/maps )

Anyway, I glad you successfully compiled it. That makes you far more Linux knowledgeable than me, hehe

If you need more help keep posting. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:49 pm 

Baker wrote:
Pak1.pak contains Vores, Hell Knights, Fish, Enforcers and all maps E2M1 thru E4M8

YOU FORGOT SHUB!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:46 pm 

I forgot about the END map. :D

(I'm sure there are other things in pak1.pak anyway)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:46 am 

Wow, yeah I got the thing running but this whole registered version thing has really got me. I'm 100% sure this is registered as I copied it from my original quake1 CD from back in the day. I can play all the levels and have many times. SQpro just seems to hate it... I'll keep playing with it.

edit:
I remember doing the transparent water vis patch on the old pak files long ago. Could this lead to the program failing to recognize the pak files? I'm really grasping at straws at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:53 pm 

Vised water should not make a difference, RocketGuy's servers maps are vised. You might compare your pak files with these ones (Look like originals).

Did you change to the proper directory in Linux before the executable starts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:36 pm 

sorry for the hold up on releasing 1.2, we have a few laziness issues over here :P