Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 26002 Observations
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:53 am 

Just some small things Bam, Goblin and I have noticed playing DM on 26002:

1. Lightning gun discharge in water doesn't kill enemy, just yourself.
2. When a player leaves (i.e. Bam lags out, heh), match doesn't automatically pause.

Other than that, 26002 is absolutely perfect.

Post subject: Re: 26002 Observations
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 pm 

I was thinking about when a player leaves a match or I lag out, how to handle the situation. On CRMOD you are given a ghostcode that holds your frags, ammo, health, etc in-case you leave and come back. However, wouldn't it be simple to not require a ghostcode to resume a game? When a player leaves mid-match he usually won't come back unless he got disconnected. Assuming a different player is able to pick up where you left off, it lets the match resume without Team X's frags being unfairly deducted by the player who left.

Thinking about it makes sense. The only factor that has changed is the new player's skill. It allows a match to be resumed at the same level it was stopped.

Tell me what you think of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 am 
zop.runequake.com

That almost makes sense, but the frags represent kills of one player against the others, like you said about the skill changing. So, it sounds like the frags shouldn't be given to a new player... It'd make more sense to have everyone vote to restart the match with the new player.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:59 pm 

Well, I wouldn't recommend using this at nj1.suroot.com or another regular DM server where things get technical with the veterans.

I don't see your point with the frags. Of course they aren't the new player's frags, but allowing him to start where another player left off allows the match to resume at the same level.

Give a buffer time for the old player to possibly reconnect, like 1 minute, then allow another player to pick up the slack.

Just brainstorming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:27 pm 

Bam wrote:
Well, I wouldn't recommend using this at nj1.suroot.com or another regular DM server where things get technical with the veterans.

If not, I'd recommend explaining any minute differences.

I think RuneQuake is the tightest, most debugged, most play-tested mod every created.

Scott, who is very serious about DM, thinks RuneQuake's match-mode is so very close. Last night, he mentioned 2 things to me. One of them was mega-health respawn time, and the other one was Quad-drop.

/It seems like Quad-drop was fixed [I can't remember the Quad ever dropping in match mode the last couple of times], but I can't look into that right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:34 am 
Site Admin

I added vote-lg-discharge, which allows you to toggle discharge damage. Lightning discharge is now on by default for match mode. You can verify what options are set by using the help-options command.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:08 am 

Baker wrote:
Scott, who is very serious about DM, thinks RuneQuake's match-mode is so very close. Last night, he mentioned 2 things to me. One of them was mega-health respawn time, and the other one was Quad-drop.

Scott here. I believe MegaHealth is on a 1 minute timer in the RuneQuake mod; the standard (classic Quake) timer for MegaHealth is 20 seconds after the owner's health drops back down to 100 or below. This also holds true for when a player picks up multiple MegaHealths; their health will tic down faster and when it drops to 100 or below all the MegaHealths that the player had picked up will respawn in 20 seconds simultaneously.

I think that the RuneQuake mod is a very robust mod, and that it is very close to being an all-in-one mod. With just a few adjustments w/ regards to classic deathmatch settings, I believe it can replace CRMOD. The only other thing I would like to add is about the powerups. Baker mentioned that Quad drop might not have been on, but what about the Quad being displayed over the player's head. I'm sure most veteran players would see this as something they wouldn't want in a classic deathmatch setting.

Thanks for the mod, Slot-Zero.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:03 pm 

A vote-classic option would solve everything, make this mod universal as it would remove the Pent and Quad hat in DM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 am 
Site Admin

desh wrote:
Baker mentioned that Quad drop might not have been on, but what about the Quad being displayed over the player's head. I'm sure most veteran players would see this as something they wouldn't want in a classic deathmatch setting.

How do you feel about it? Do you think it impacts the game at all?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:39 am 

Slot Zero wrote:
desh wrote:
Baker mentioned that Quad drop might not have been on, but what about the Quad being displayed over the player's head. I'm sure most veteran players would see this as something they wouldn't want in a classic deathmatch setting.

How do you feel about it? Do you think it impacts the game at all?

The impact is mostly cosmetic, but it does look funny to see a Quad or Pent poking up out of the floor while the owner of said artifact is running underneath the floor (this happens rarely). Also, if this mod were ever to be used for serious team deathmatch, it's always been that you need to find out what your attacker has by shooting him, rather than just seeing him, ie does he have Quad or Pent or Both?

It would just be nice to have something like what Paradise said, vote-classic, that makes everything go to Quake's classic mode. And then, from there, you can add in the new features as you like, eg, Artifact drops, Artifact spawn times, mega health spawn time, armor cycling, etc. I mostly think that this would be a good feature simply because it would nearly encompass nearly every from of DM Quake from vanilla to full blown runequake, with the addition of rocket arena thrown in there. I'm also of the opinion that it's good to have almost nearly everything as an option to back to its original form. I think you've done this, with the exception of only two things (that I'm aware of): the Artifact-Display over the player's head and the mega-health spawn time. I know there is an option to change the mega-health spawn time, be it 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, etc., but as far as I know, there is no way to change it back to default, this being 20 seconds after it runs out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

I added the vote-classic-mega command. The default for this command is off for runes, and on for practice and match. The code works almost identically to the original mega code except that when you pick up multiple megas the delay stays constant while the rate increases. There should also be no weird side affects when using this option with runes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 am 

Excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:13 am 

I just noticed another thing that needs to be implemented: random spawns. As of right now, players will spawn into the game in sequential spawn order.

For example, on dm6 there are 7 spawn points:

1) Hole in green armor room
2) Near rocket launcher by red armor
3) Mega-health room
4) Top of stairs going towards green armor
5) Top of stairs going away from green armor
6) Hole near grenade launcher
7) Behind Red Armor

Let's say two people join the game. Player 1 spawns at spawn #1, player 2 spawns at spawn #2. The next person to join the game or the next person to die will spawn at #3, then at #4, then at #5, #6, #7, #1, #2, etc. It is sequential. It is generally accepted that sequential spawning is outdated and that random spawning is necessary for competitive play. I hope that this can be implemented. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 am 

direct copy of the same post in another thread..:

Quote:
hi there guys, as you may know i'm administering the euroquake servers and i got some feature/bugfixes requests:

issues i'd like to see resolved (reference runequake 1.3):

Code:
- classic megahealth option
- random player-spawn-order (as it is, it is NOT random, so please make them random, or better yet: admin cofigurable)
- fix automatic switch to RL on pickup (other weapons work fine)
- admin configurable default settings for each game mode (either by .cfg or settings.qc or admin menu, i'd prefer .cfg)
  (or at least make cvars for weaponstayon/off classicmegaon/off and any other votable options that don't have these cvars for that matter ;))
- match mode tends to become fubar after a match is aborted (for example if only one player is ready it would start the countdown)
- "individual mode" or "FFA with match-timer" or whatever you wanna call it.. this makes for nice FFA-tourney mode.
- duel mode (maybe use RocketArena-like lineup but with match-mode gameplay)
- optional setting to make maps start out without any tactical items like armor, megahealth and powerups.
  Spawn those in after some time (like 20 seconds, but make it admin configurable) to give every player
  a fair chance of getting the first RA,MEGA,powerup. (ala warsow)
- ROCKET ARENA and MIDAIR section in the custom maps list and make the mod only pick those maps for those modes respectively on timelimit/fraglimit.

also, what's the maximum number of custom maps that can be added to the custom maps list using the online script?

thanx for the good work, keep it up! :D

=peg=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

desh wrote:
I just noticed another thing that needs to be implemented: random spawns. As of right now, players will spawn into the game in sequential spawn order.

For example, on dm6 there are 7 spawn points:

1) Hole in green armor room
2) Near rocket launcher by red armor
3) Mega-health room
4) Top of stairs going towards green armor
5) Top of stairs going away from green armor
6) Hole near grenade launcher
7) Behind Red Armor

Let's say two people join the game. Player 1 spawns at spawn #1, player 2 spawns at spawn #2. The next person to join the game or the next person to die will spawn at #3, then at #4, then at #5, #6, #7, #1, #2, etc. It is sequential. It is generally accepted that sequential spawning is outdated and that random spawning is necessary for competitive play. I hope that this can be implemented. Thank you.

I find it somewhat strange that 11 years after Sujoy's demonstration of spawn-raping on dm2, this has still not been implemented. And it's not that hard, either. Here's a basic idea:

In the spawn function for info_player_deathmatch, increase a global variable by 1. Then, when a player comes to be spawned, do something like r = floor(random() * num_ipdm) + 1; and then do the find() r times, and use that as the first attempted spawnpoint.

However, this isn't completely foolproof for mods like RuneQuake, which won't attempt to spawn a player in where there's no space for him. From what I rememeber of the RuneQuake source code, it will then go onto the next spawnpoint in the list. Meaning that (taking your example) if you are standing on #4, and the code rolls #4, then the player will appear at #5, meaning that the randomness can be influenced. The way to do this is to create a randomized circular linked list of deathmatch spawnpoints as they are spawned, and then traverse this list instead of using find().

Creating such a linked list is much easier when you have a global to assist you. I'm not sure how to do it when you don't have a global that you can look at every time you need to. Also, circular linked lists are easier to create than non-circular ones, as (if you're not worried about the order) you can insert them at any point.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Lardarse wrote:
I find it somewhat strange that 11 years after Sujoy's demonstration of spawn-raping on dm2, this has still not been implemented. And it's not that hard, either.

The spawn shields, vote-shields, were implemented many years ago to address this problem and I find it to be a far better solution. Not everyone likes the spawn shields though, which is why I added vote-random-spawn. This makes all spawn points random, not just info_player_deathmatch. It also prevents duplicate spawns.