Rune Central

The Official Rune Quake Message Board
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dual rune mod, other suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 am 

Hi Slot. I noticed Mindzy's front page post on Quakeone.com about you actively developing Runequake again. This is great, assuming it is coming from you and not just wishful thinking. I hope it also means you'll start playing again. :D

I'm sure you remember Zop's dual rune mod that you put on for April Fool's awhile back. I thought it was a blast, and if technically possible I'd love to see it back as a voteable option.

I like the guided missiles. It might be cool if you could pick up powerups as a missile, or at least ammo. Although if it could pick up health and armor, then it should probably also sustain damage but at a lesser rate than the player itself.

How about adjusting the magic shotgun into a railgun? Add a stream of particles, change the name, maybe boost the damage a bit? Maybe even a voteable instagib railgun-only mode?

Are you thinking of adding more runes?

Post subject: Re: Dual rune mod, other suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:48 am 

:D I'm gonna toss my ideas into your post Dole :P

Rune of Matrix (allows you to walk/run on walls so long as you don't stop moving.Ceilings yes no?) <- I thought this doable because of twirly head changing your POV.I do not know if player.mdl can be displayed sideways and/or the hitbox.

Rune of Anti-Gravity rune-use activated on/off, limited uses like Rune of Flight (Anyone who is in your view / visible , slowly floats upward til the player holding rune is killed.A rune that turned on E1M8 gravity,just slightly LESS gravity. Should auto float upward somehow)

Rune of Tinfoil Hat (Your immune to all "Rune" based effects !!!!)

Rune of Darkness (Anyone within view of you experiences a "Lights out" effect, not pitch black though)

Side Kick Rune (Creates a doppleganger playermodel that is tethered to your movements,has the identical same color as you,and does everything you do slightly offset)

Rune of Bleeding (Anytime you damage an opponent with AXE,SG,SSG,NG,SNG , they bleed out through the wounds @ whatever pre-determined rate,until person with rune dies)

Gonna go play some Runes and get some more idea's!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm 

i like that matrix idea!

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:14 pm 

I like the dual rune mod idea.

Here's some rune ideas

Rune of Miniaturization: If activated, you shrink down to a size of a fly.
Rune of raw sewage: Turn water into polluted water, you opponents will take 10% damage over 30 seconds, and you will take damage if you are in the water as well.
Rune of Gun Turrets: place turrets in hallways where they will attack your opponents when they are in sight, you as well.
Rune of stealing: Steal another person's rune.
Rune of choice: change to another rune of your choice
Rune of Trip wire: place a trip wire in a hallway.
Rune of head-crab: place 5 pet head-crabs on the map where they'll attach to your opponent's head and take damage(head-crabs are enemy in the half life games)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 pm 

Meatwad wrote:
I like the dual rune mod idea.

Here's some rune ideas

*Rune of Miniaturization: If activated, you shrink down to a size of a fly.
Rune of raw sewage: Turn water into polluted water, you opponents will take 10% damage over 30 seconds, and you will take damage if you are in the water as well.
**Rune of Gun Turrets: place turrets in hallways where they will attack your opponents when they are in sight, you as well.
**Rune of stealing: Steal another person's rune.
***Rune of choice: change to another rune of your choice
****Rune of Trip wire: place a trip wire in a hallway.
Rune of head-crab: place 5 pet head-crabs on the map where they'll attach to your opponent's head and take damage(head-crabs are enemy in the half life games)

Sad fact, once upon a time when like 2 or 3 Rune mods was being worked on at once, some of those idea's have seen the light of day and then disappeared to never be seen again.

* , you turned into a Shambler Flea,it was too powerful. You should be able to be stepped on and instant killed lol.
** , Rune Switch (worked like teleport / switch rune)
***, This rune was way over powered. WAY WAY :P
**** , the trip wires was made of lightning and you would set a point A and point B, the only problem was you could exploit the hell out of it and make mega long Tripwires. Something to limit its abusibility would be limiting the length of the tripwire to the amount of cells you have, so if you try to drop a uber long tripwire, it would only go the predetermined length allowed based on length per cell.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Admin

funkify wrote:
Hi Slot. I noticed Mindzy's front page post on Quakeone.com about you actively developing Runequake again. This is great, assuming it is coming from you and not just wishful thinking. I hope it also means you'll start playing again. :D

There are a few things I've been meaning to clean up in runequake, so I figured now is the best time to take suggestions. I'll probably play more to test my changes, but not sure if I can get back into a regular schedule.

funkify wrote:
I'm sure you remember Zop's dual rune mod that you put on for April Fool's awhile back. I thought it was a blast, and if technically possible I'd love to see it back as a voteable option.

I won't make any promises, but it's on the list of things to do.

funkify wrote:
I like the guided missiles. It might be cool if you could pick up powerups as a missile, or at least ammo. Although if it could pick up health and armor, then it should probably also sustain damage but at a lesser rate than the player itself.

I was thinking the same thing. I really need to see how it plays out though, but it's something I'm going to try.

funkify wrote:
How about adjusting the magic shotgun into a railgun? Add a stream of particles, change the name, maybe boost the damage a bit? Maybe even a voteable instagib railgun-only mode?

I was never a big fan of the railgun, but I'm also not a big user of the magic shotgun either so a new alt could be a possibility.

funkify wrote:
Are you thinking of adding more runes?

I would like to add more runes and while I have a few ideas, it's always nice to hear more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:41 am 

mindzx wrote:
Sad fact, once upon a time when like 2 or 3 Rune mods was being worked on at once, some of those idea's have seen the light of day and then disappeared to never be seen again.

Not so my friend! IEEE and I worked on several of these ideas, first in BDA, then in Rune Quake Advanced, then he carried some of them over to RQ+. I'm sure I have much of that code amongst my terrabytes.

BDA was a particularly weapons-heavy mod, and the runes we added were much stronger in most cases than most of the runes we're used to in Rune Quake. So the runes in that mod were part of an arms race to hand out beatdowns. However, they can all be toned down as necessary to fit in the mix with Rune Quake.

Some of the suggestions so far in this thread were done by us:

Rune Snatcher - This one would be great to add because it was great for dealing with rune whores who'd get a strong rune then never drop it. Its usage was something like the switch rune, and when you hit a target player, their rune would fly through the air towards you, letting you take it. It wouldn't need to be toned down at all, because it is only as strong as the other runes in the mod.

Rune of Darkness - This was another one that worked very well, and I had completely forgotten about it. Created a shroud of darkness around the holder that only affected enemies. Not too strong, but pretty cool.

Shambler Flea Rune - This one would need to be slightly toned down or handicapped in order to fit in RQ. Its big weakness was that it would die instantly in water. It wasn't my favorite rune we ever made, but I'd have to fire it up again to remember why.

Slot, if you would be interested in using some of the runes we did, I'd be happy to share the code with you as long as you comment with proper attributions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:33 pm 

funkify wrote:
mindzx wrote:

Not so my friend! IEEE and I worked on several of these ideas, first in BDA, then in Rune Quake Advanced, then he carried some of them over to RQ+. I'm sure I have much of that code amongst my terrabytes.

BDA was a particularly weapons-heavy mod, and the runes we added were much stronger in most cases than most of the runes we're used to in Rune Quake. So the runes in that mod were part of an arms race to hand out beatdowns. However, they can all be toned down as necessary to fit in the mix with Rune Quake.

Some of the suggestions so far in this thread were done by us:

Rune Snatcher - This one would be great to add because it was great for dealing with rune whores who'd get a strong rune then never drop it. Its usage was something like the switch rune, and when you hit a target player, their rune would fly through the air towards you, letting you take it. It wouldn't need to be toned down at all, because it is only as strong as the other runes in the mod.

Rune of Darkness - This was another one that worked very well, and I had completely forgotten about it. Created a shroud of darkness around the holder that only affected enemies. Not too strong, but pretty cool.

Shambler Flea Rune - This one would need to be slightly toned down or handicapped in order to fit in RQ. Its big weakness was that it would die instantly in water. It wasn't my favorite rune we ever made, but I'd have to fire it up again to remember why.

Slot, if you would be interested in using some of the runes we did, I'd be happy to share the code with you as long as you comment with proper attributions.

I miss the majority of these rune's being mentioned. It's a slice of history-pie that at present day,I can't take a bite of. !!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:53 am 
zop.runequake.com

Some thoughts, sorry if they sound only negative, but maybe some criticism will mold some better ideas:

The magic shotgun is mostly like a railgun, actually... other than the damage amount, of course.

Twirly head doesn't work on some clients... perhaps just older ones, like what I use. However, I'd say walking on walls sounds cool and all, but it would be too confusing to see a level rotated at 90% (the mouse wouldn't work right?)... and I'd bet you'd be always dropping the rune once the novelty wore off.

Tinfoil: isn't this Enviro Rune?

Bleeding seems closest to something new to the current lineup. Though, I seem to recall a poisonous rune which worked quite similarly. How different is it really, compared to being on fire, though? Would you bleed until you got to a health?

Raw sewage is a bit too specific... other than dm3, when are people battling in water? Probably not even then, due to hook.

No one mentioned turrets being used in another rune mod... I have no idea where from, but I recall that they were made... were they even remote controlled? Anyway, I think they were another novelty, but campers liked them. If they were really threatening, people would generally avoid the map area altogether. Don't fret- I'd say this one might have some promise.

Trip wires are another trap, which is in line with RQ, but is there a way to make them different enough from death spots, but as powerful?

Head-crab: See fire traps... plus, there aren't crab models to display in game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:45 pm 

Zop wrote:

Tinfoil: isn't this Enviro Rune?

No one mentioned turrets being used in another rune mod... I have no idea where from, but I recall that they were made... were they even remote controlled? Anyway, I think they were another novelty, but campers liked them. If they were really threatening, people would generally avoid the map area altogether. Don't fret- I'd say this one might have some promise.

Trip wires are another trap, which is in line with RQ, but is there a way to make them different enough from death spots, but as powerful?

Something like tinfoil was done in RQ+, I believe. The "luddite" rune. Different than enviro in that "high tech" things like enemy quad, berserker, and pent didn't affect the carrier. Things like slime, fire, and such were still harmful.

Turrets were also in RQ+ IIRC.

I have seen trip wires done when one wouldn't necessarily kill you if you were full of health and had some armor. Maybe like 105 damage or something. I think that would be better than instant death.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:21 am 
zop.runequake.com

Ah yes, Luddite... I'd think a saintly name for the rune would be more sensible since it works against demonic items. I think keeping the pent and quad from working on/against you is a pretty serious change... maybe it's good and interesting? On the other hand, maybe it's too rare a condition as its only power... having berserker and vamp runes canceled could go along with some sort of divine protection, but even still it's not enough for me to consider keeping in-game.